View Single Post
      05-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #259
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
One of the technologies is currently being used by another German company to great reviews and fan fare while BMW's implementation has not been given the same view. With the F80, the technology from that other German company will be used so if it is not received well BMW could always say "Well it is identical to so-and-so so how can it not be as good"? That tech is still under debate during the testing but if the car is to meet the ambitious fuel economy numbers it almost certainly needs to be in there.
Someone needs to decipher this, it's interesting I don't know any German company using something even remotely interesting aside from the electrical helper motors.

EDIT: I think it's about the SUPERCHARGER (compressor driven by the engine crankshaft and not exhaust gases like the turbocharger) used in Audi S4 3.0 TFSI or maybe a combination of a supercharger and a turbocharger (probably twin-scroll) as used in VW's TSI engines !!! This fits too well to the mapezzul post But as far as I know, superchargers are less efficient than turbochargers. But in combination with a turbocharger, linear response + good fuel economy can be achieved.

So:

- Direct injection
- Valvetronic
- Twin-scroll turbocharger
- Supercharger

One hell of an engine

Last edited by cstavaru; 05-29-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0