View Single Post
      05-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #327
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
The only thing clear to me is that all new BMW AG and M GmbH engines will build on the modular platform of the B.8 engine family !!!

The first engine of this family is the B38 3-cylinder, which pretends the technical principles / conditions for all new engines. According to the last interview of the Dr.Nitschke this B38 is able to achieve performance up to 300 + hp ... what does mean, that an composite 6 cylinder of 2 B38 as Levi quotes, could easily achieve 600 + hp ... and this in both V6 and I6 form, from which the V6 for a sports car would of course bringing packaging benefits while allowing further the use of the revolutionary BiTurbo system of S63Tü.

And ultimately a F80 with a V6 would certainly most easily de-raised doubts over on the uniqueness of the M3 engine. Nevertheless, this 3.0ltr.V6 BiTurbo would fit easily in the new common parts engine kit / platform from BMW. And an V6 is in every way an better base to combine high revs with high pressure turbos ... the S54 is there no real criterion, since it is no turbo engine and thus a significant and non-negligible load characteristic is absent ... a more compact crankshaft-moderately build engine withstand the high loads better or more easily.

Greets Uli_HH
Good points, but still I dont agree V6
Civil cars hp/l ratio is so low that it not make sense to move use V6, there are lots of S38,S50,S52,S54 even M52 whit turbocharger/supercharger and block is not weakest point. Good example M12 formula 1 engine weakest point are not a block, weakest part has a piston pin.

I think too that M3 power will be always under 500bhp, so I6 is ideal platform. Sound better than V6 even when talking TC engines, more econimically? I6 need only two camshaft and less rotation parts than V6, rev faster and I6 is naturally balanced. And what you said allready, I think that only better is that whit V6 layot you can put turbochargers inside on V.

So not make sense that Bmw do totally new V6 block. Long history for I6 engines, I6 make Bmw sound differend(better) than competors and only parts what engine can share whit B38 is pistons and cylinder head.
Appreciate 0