View Single Post
      06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #79
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Sorry, it was probably me responsible for the misinformation. Care to direct me towards info on the R8 drivetrain? All I've found is that previously it used a viscous coupling center diff. I was assuming the facelifted version used a variation of the crown center diff and active sports diff. But I suppose the mid engine packaging might dictate a rear transaxle. I understand that the packaging/implementation is different, however, it seems like the technology is the same - in terms of suppliers borgwarner and magna (I think Magna provides the sports diff).

Likewise for the S-Tronic DSG. I know GIAC has been able to tune the DL501 to be much more responsive, with release info here and a user review here, so some of the differences in "shift feel" could be from TCM tuning. The DL700 series (which I presume is in the R8) to my knowledge has greater torque handling capability, however is still based on a similar to design to the DL501.
The R8 uses a VW 4WD system. You are correct about the use of the Viscous Diff. But it is different then the new Center Crown on the S4, S5. The R8 is has more RWD biased. The split is 15/85% with a max of 30% upfront. As far as the transmission the Midengine makes using the same DCT impossible.

I want the B9 to have R8 character. Sliding a S4 or S5 would be great fun.
Appreciate 0