02-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #208
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I hear you swamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Torque is great for mashing the throttle in 7th gear (maybe 8th in the new M3/M4) at 50 mph...
Even in that type of situation and with a boatload of torque, I'll always downshift and get better performance. Why floor the accelerator and poor gasoline into the cylinders only to waste it while the car finds it way to the next available speed where the engine is providing maximum acceleration? Right?

Isn't it ironic that, for all the passion there is surrounding gearbox type, there is just as much protest when it comes time to shift? It is doubly ironic when you consider that modern gearboxes used in high performance applications are built with the express goal of making shifting easier so that you can reap the full potential of the car's engine.

It is also ironic that folks will spend so much time selecting a vehicle that meets their performance needs, only to, in many cases, drive that vehicle in a fashion that will only provide them with the illusion of performance rather than actual performance.

Quote:
I don't give a single rats ass about how much more or how much total torque the car will make, neither should any true M enthusiast.
I agree with your point, if not your exact approach to expressing your feelings. In any case, it is nice when we agree on something.
Appreciate 0