Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
This thread got my attention, particularly in light of what my insurance premiums have done over the past 6 years.

I did a little research and found this chart on the IIHS website (look at the best and worst tab):

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insu...ss-information

The E92 M3 makes the list of the highest collision loss cars on the market - some of the others are no surprise. Maybe we already have our share of clueless owners. Another hundred pounds of torque should keep us on the list we don't want to be on. Including a driver school in the purchase price might not be a bad idea.
Recall that part of that number (one would suspect the greater part, given what it purports to calculate) relates to average loss per claim.

The cars on that "worst list" are all pricey, hence part of the reason for their placement there. My guess is there isnt a lot of racing in the S-class segment, but every dented bumper is going to cost the equivalent of 3 F-150's to replace

By contrast, the "best" cars are not terribly expensive and, it seems, are all 'working vehicles' (trucks) where drivers arent going to bother getting many cosmetic things fixed.

BUT, agreed, there are all sorts of jackasses driving their M3s (or Californias, or A8s, or whatever) like jackasses which means that, even if an M3 is cheaper to repair than a Ferrari or R8, there are enough accidents to drive the other part of the equation and keep the M3 on the list.
Appreciate 0