Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
This thread is confirming that something is off with my car. I picked up my CS a couple weeks ago and started my build journal here. I track my E92 1x per month and was excited to see what the CS offered out of the gate. I drove the car back from Seattle home to San Francisco and was honestly shocked how floaty the front-end felt. Texting with Alex, I believe this has something to do with the Dinan HAS kit that the previous owner installed. This is a generic F80 kit, not specific to the CS. Link here.

The description of the kit specifies that it increases the front stiffness by 50% and the rear by only 10%. Aside from the front-end being jarring over bumps, even in Comfort, I'm thinking this adjustment also messed with the F/R balance of the suspension. Taking corners even at 6/10th's, the traction light is going crazy, there is no front-end presence or connection to the road. The front-end is lifting significantly under throttle and inducing understeer.
Racer20 I've read many of your posts on the CS suspension setup, all very insightful! Does it seem likely that increasing the front stiffness substantially via springs would induce understeer similar to throwing on a much stiffer roll bar? I've seen many of your posts advising base users to swap the rear ZCP sway precisely because the roll balance is off - so I'm thinking the same would happen by over stiffening the front.
Thanks, glad I can help. Yes, Canut is right. For oversteer/understeer balance, stiffening one end has the same effect as softening the other. The thing that matters is the relative stiffness between them.

Stiffening the front and softening the rear will not be the same in every aspect though, as the ride frequencies, roll gradient, pitch/heave centers, etc. will all be different and have their own effects on the car.

Edit: wait, are you asking if you can adjust the front bar somehow to match the base rear bar? Presumably you could soften the front bar to get a similar roll stiffness distribution, but then the whole car would just be softer and less responsive. That said, I would prefer that over a mid-matched setup.
CanAutM321125.00