10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #419
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Whether it is lag or rpms below a boost threshold the result is the same - a delay in obtaining full power from the time it is requested by throttle application.
I see your still not getting it.....cc for cc the turbo gives the same response before boost.....when boost kicks in it is bye-bye NA version. You aren't losing a damn thing. Yes it FEELS like you are as the difference when on boost is like night and day,and once you feel the night you don't want the Day.

Quote:
For you to continue to think that folks who enjoy NA engines just "don't get" turbo's is both arrogant and narrow minded. There are advantages and disadvantages of each.
Lol that is rich, you spout a whole bunch of missinformed info on Turbo engines almost as if you are the authority on the differences, and are calling me narrow minded. Funny In my world having pre-concieved ideas on a technology is narrow minded and ignorant.

Quote:
But the version with the higher power motor is sold as a premium/performance version with a much higher price, correct?
Nope, it is obviously a more expensive version, next model up, kind of like the 335i is the next version up from 328i. It is no M car difference. What's your point?

Quote:
I've always said more torque and more power is always better, however, putting up with the negative aspects of lag is also never a good thing. In this particular case one could say that the NA motor is always experiencing lag, however, that does not account for the actual feel and responsiveness of the two cars. You won't actually feel any lag in the NA car but you clearly do in the turbo version. The flip side argument remains as well. If you have a fixed torque and fixed power would you choose the engine with or without lag?
I actually like the 'lag' because you know the big hit is coming, gives an extra dimension to get to grips with. An NA to me feels boring, like driving an AT on a track. Give me an MT big single Turbo any day. And to me that is much more M3 spirit than seemless boredom from idle to redline. Bring on F80, pity they are going to appease the Lag haters by adding 3 turbos.....but then some tuning company will ditch those and stick a decent 600bhp single on it, now that will be an M3 with balls.....happy days.
Appreciate 0