07-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #150
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax View Post
Final body design look and the performance remains to be seen when official clear pictures emerge.
It appears tha again they are messing up with at least 2 details: side mirrors and front seats.
E36 M3 still has a better side mirrors and "vader" seats that would win a design award, after models they all had these details ruined, just did not feel they belonged to an M3.
There was a little E36 M3 copying on side mirrors for E9* M3s but but still it looked ugly and cheap.
BMW should look at other cheaper brands and learn how to improve on these details.
While I agree with you that little touches like the "vader" seats are nice and the side mirrors were cool with the E36, the mirrors on the E9X were functional aero and not just looks and were much more expensive to build and develop plus there are now regulations on surface area for mirrors that did not exist then.

The seats are what they are, M has gone up market in terms of comfort and the sportier seats just are not inline with most of the clients now- plus to keep things somewhat affordable the US market only sees one seat design because of the wonders of crash test expenses.

I, like you would love to see a more aggressive seat setup, heck if MINI is now offering Recaros from the factory I don't know why BMW can't do the same. Just make it an option across all M models and that surely will have more volume than the MINIs getting them- no?

Final mirrors and seats are a ways out on these mules but whatever they look like lets hope they are functional!