05-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #74
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Here is the thing; I feel the standard e90 gen hydraulic steering while not the most precise provided unequal levels of enjoyment to any other car I've driven. No electric rack I've ever driven could replicate this enjoyment.
E9X M3 hydraulic steering was very good overall (and precise), although it certainly wasn't game changing or communicative in the way that you'd find in a 2000 pound unassisted-steering Lotus. Chris Harris is definitely right though when he criticizes its poor feedback off center (the only place I have any issue with the E9X steering).

From his notes, I personally feel reassured about the F8X M3/M4's steering. No, I didn't read anything that led me to believe that this steering is better than the hydraulic steering we had previously, but I also never expected it to be. My fear is that it would feel like the steering I've experienced in a few test drives of the 435i, and Chris Harris has given me some confidence that this is not the case: The steering will be satisfactory, and given that this is the first M3 foray into electrically assisted steering, I can rest easy knowing it isn't a detractor from the overall experience of the car.
Appreciate 0