e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
This is how I see it now:

1. they bolt two turbos on the current M3's engine, wow nothing a current M3 owner can't do in the aftermarket, and with warantees nearing the end by release of next gen that will be an attractive option. Boring to just keep the same engine no matter how epic the V8 is

I think you may be a bit mistaken on the magnitude of changes they would make if this would happen. See every owner can add FI, but not necessarily properly. ///M would not just slap turbos on her and call it a day. Everything would change: internals, ECU, in take, drive shaft, etc, etc.....why would they do that when aftermarket tuners don't do it for the S65? Because BMW likes to build reliable engines that don't blow up, not hold their breathe and say "please work, please work, please work......" Though someone adding FI to the car may not be thinking about reliability, BMW HAS TO, they financially can't afford not to

2. n54/n55 - after all M3 owners scoffed at the 1M getting this engine now it is a candidate for the next gen M3? again dissapointing regardless of the HP and torque they get out of it.

I scoffed at that engine in an ///M......but having owned it, if done right, this might be a very, very, athletic ///M engine.....

3. detuning the M5's engine. suddenly the M3 sounds like the cayman/911 story.

Not really: the Cayman and 911 are both smaller 2 door types.......the ///M5 and ///M3 are aimed at totally different car buyers, and the difference in their purposes seems to be growing....

4. v6 TT- honestly sounds like the only exciting option. I know it is not I6, but it could be balanced, lightweight, torque friendly, and if BMW keeps the size and weight of the next M3 in check (which means going backwards in weight) this could be a stellar car.

I disagree, but this is an opinion thing, so no one can be right or wrong

I also think 2 and 4 are likely because SCOTT said 4-cyl turbo in 1M and 6-cyl turbo in M3. The only reason BMW would opt for an 8-cyl is because audi Merc are doing it, or because they can't get the M3 weight down to allow a 6-cyl to make it fly.
Good points.....but I think considering an 8 cylinder is rooted in a bunch of factors, including a bunch we may not have even thought of. Who knows which factors weigh heaviest in the minds of BMW.....but I think you hit some of those reasons right on the head.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 05-20-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0