Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I don't understand why BMW wouldn't put this "amazing" electronic steering setup on all of their cars. Why numb and dumb it down in the non-M cars when all of the reviewers keep complaining about it?

Hopefully it has just been recently developed (reason why its not on the m5/m6) and will find its way into all of the cars with electronic steering.

have you driven any cars with electronic steering?

perhaps you are not aware that this technology has been evolvingand that there have been software updates for current models.
the technolgy hasnt been dumbed down for lower models.. but has been refined to the point where it is now acceptable to BMW M.

I have driven the X3, a loaner F30, and recently got a loaner 2013 X1 from my dealer. in each car, the system has shown improvement. The X3 was very light and artificial. The F30 is better... but can feel light at certain speeds. However.. this past weekend I got the X1 loaner and I am VERY impressed with the steering the X1. So much so that I drove the loaner across town to show it to a friend who owns an X3. He and I drove around for 30 minutes on his favorite test loop near his home and he was also impressed with the X1 and said it is FAR better than his X3. The X1 actually almost feels a touch too heavy at times.

one thing is for sure. BMW M engineers aren't going to bring technology to market if it's not up to their own exacting standards. Case in point was the 1M... After all the limp mode issues in the 1 series and 3 series... BMW went back and redesigned the cooling in the 1 series and completely banished any idea of limp mode in the 1M. I have driven my 1M in high altitude, low altitude, low humidity, high humidity, high heat, autocross, track with 104 degree ambient in TX and never a thought of limp mode.

indeed, Electronic Power Steering is evolving.. and it appears to be ready for prime time.. As you mentioned... indeed it apparently was not ready for the 5/6... but will be available with likely all future models as part of BMWs efficient dynamics. ( Electric power steering allows for the use of stop/start technology for the engine..)
Did the X3 that you drove have DHP? Because steering feel is leaps and bounds better in Sport/Sport+. And obviously the M3/M4 would be leaps and bounds better than that...I love the BMW hydraulic systems of the past but electronic systems are improving and it's possible that they got it right in the new M cars.
Appreciate 0