View Single Post
      02-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #510
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Track has such little difference in steering feedback that it is absurd to mention it to explain the huge gulf in steering feel the reviewers claim between the GTS and the M2 and M4. The second someone puts spacers or different wheels on either car there is a greater difference in front track than the hub carrier. You do not see people making threads saying "I put spacers on my car and lost all steering feel!" The same goes for KW coilovers - nobody says, "I just put Clubsports on my car and now I lost road texture feel!"

The entire point of my posting is to show how hyperbolic reviewers are being with proclamations like the M4 GTS has the worst steering feel ever, while they say the M2 has the best steering feel of any current M car. A few mm in track width is not going to cause such a wide gulf in reviews. It is absolutely nothing compared to an entirely different power steering map that literally changes the required steering angle and weight on the car to achieve a certain corner radius.

Of course, all of this could be confirmed if you guys with base M4s simply tried the coding change I suggested and switched your power steering map to that of the M2/GTS. You will notice a difference; I have done it for several local cars and it's immediately noticeable. If you have such a sensitive butt that you can detect a few mm difference in track width, this will be like hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer.
i will be doing the GTS coding today on my M4, and i will be able to compare the feel to my GTS, the cars currently are 2 completely different cars and my Base M4 has the KW Clubsport 2 ways

while i doubt the steering will bring the car itself close to my GTS, i am still exciting for the better steering feel
Appreciate 0