08-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #144
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'm not so sure this is exactly correct. When there are different engine and transmission options those weights are quoted. If the automatic transmission is an option then yes the manual will be quoted. However, for the M4, I believe it may only be offered only with M-DCT (as the M5 is). Also I believe the curb weight does include a variety of things such as premium audio, leather, power seats, etc. in a way such that the maximums are captured by the specification. Leave that stuff out and you will end up with a car lighter than the given BMW figure.
In the US, we can get F1x M5/M6s with manual transmissions, the DCT is a $0 option. I would eat my shoe if the M3 didn't also come with a manual.

Curb weight typically doesn't include extra equipment like power seats, leather, etc. if you go for those options you end up with a heavier car. However, if you take your own car and measure it you will find it's a few pounds lighter than the official curb weight figure because that includes a full complement of fluids (gas, oil, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc.) as well as a full tank of gas and it also includes 75kg for a driver and some more for luggage. This is how German companies typically list curb weights, it's not so much the actual weight of the car as it is the amount you could expect it to weigh during a typical drive.

I was reading the US regulations for gas mileage testing and it said that a manufacturer can use optional equipment if it expects >33% of cars sold to have that particular option fitted. DCT vs manual doesn't really matter for this discussion on curb weights since BMW always lists the car's weight with both transmissions, but if they expect a lot of people to opt for a particular weight-saving option then they may be able to use it to achieve a lower curb weight figure but I don't think that's how it works. I'm pretty sure they have to stick with standard equipment when measuring curb weight, even though they will add a ton of weight onto it for the driver, luggage, etc.

Last edited by Remonster; 08-10-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0