01-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #26
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I agree that the F80 M3 sedan is likely to take a larger percentage of over all M3/M4 sales this generation than in the past E36 and E9x generations. However, I think that aesthetics will have very little to do with it. Instead the reasons I would cite are:

1. Economics. The car sits in a price bracket where owners will have a higher average age. As such, the typical buyer will seek more practicality whether it be to accommodate family or just fit the buyer's intentions to exhibit a more mature image. Think M5 vs. M6 appeal - similar effect begins to come into play with the M3 vs. M4 now too.

2. Familiarity. This is the first M3 sedan that follows directly on a prior generation M3 sedan. So, it has the benefit of the awareness from those who first learned that an M3 sedan exists by seeing one on the road (or just hearing about I online and so forth) over the past few years, but already had a long term car commitment purchase that would prohibit them from buying one at the time.

3. Name. The M3 name is more well known than the brand new M4 name.

Not disagreeing, just highly skeptical we will see the M3 numbers overtake (or even approach) the M4. A coupe buyer is looking for a coupe. A sedan, well a sedan. Coupe owners will most likely show repeat coupe purchases.

Also, it is still a sports car. Most sports car buyers prefer a coupe as it is perceived as being more ... Sporty.

Dealerships seem to be disproportionally stocking M4's. To the point where I found it very difficult to even locate an M3 on the lot. And I know its not because they sold them all.
Appreciate 0