01-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #39
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Possibly not, but then you may notice I didn't necessarily say that would happen either. I only said that I thought the sedan would represent a higher percentage of sales than in past generations.

... and sedan owners will most likely show repeat sedan purchases. But I don't see how any of that is important.

The market for sedans is obviously larger than that for coupes, so raw numbers favor the sedan form factor. Now we can observe and reasonably conclude that, as a buyer's priorities tend toward performance, the coupe form factor's popularity also increases. But there is plenty of room for performance sedans as you can see with popular models such as the C63, M5, or S4 for example.

A sedan is quite clearly not a sports car.

However, since you brought it up, it begs the question - when you take two doors off a sedan, re-contour the roofline, and change little else (which is what a 4 Series is to a 3 Series, and what a M4 is to an M3) do you genuinely now have a sports car? We won't debate that here, but I would encourage you to ponder that and discuss it in the appropriate thread which you can locate via search if you have an opinion.

Dealerships are stocking what BMW is building. BMW is building what BMW predicts they'll need based on a number of factors including past sales figures. If, however, customer interests change and they see a trend, they can adjust numbers as production of the product goes on.

I went sedan -> coupe -> sedan. It happens. I have never felt my M sedans to be 'less sporty' than the coupe counters. Hell my next car may be an M2.
Appreciate 0