11-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
m performance school having all dct is mostly because they dont want to go through burnt clutches.. dct is much more fool proof. also much easier to teach track driving not having to worry about heel n toe..
Obviously, manual comes down to personal preference. As far as the m perf school, I can't say for sure why they didn't offer it, but my impression from the instructors was that it was that they wanted to offer the highest offering of M cars BMW had to offer, which meant the cars would have DCT if it were offered.

The 1M they used to have didn't have that option and they included heel to toe instruction as part of the advertisement. I honestly don't think they care about burnt clutches or maintenance of any kind. They discussed how many tires they go through, people wrecking cars (we didn't have this but one in my group did get off the skid pad far enough to be in the grass that his car needed to get towed out which was amusing - x drive where are ya when we need ya!?), and brakes/roters, one of my M5s parking brake got stuck/frozen at one point when we switched cars, it wouldn't move lol. After me messing with it and giving it some gas after the car said it was disengaged it still didn't move. The instructor got in and floored it and it sounded like something broke, but he was like "you're good to go, just was stuck!". Every car we got in had every option checked, I mean seriously they could've left off the B&O stereo's as we didn't even turn them on once. The oldest cars out there had 3k miles on them with a lifetime mpg of 5. They don't keep them out there that long and sell them in auction after cleaning them up and making them 'as new' as they can. I just don't see a burnt clutch causing them worry with as much they spend on other things.

Sorry to derail, if you love a manual and want that experience every time you get in your car, then it's a no brainer. But there are plenty of folks that would prefer the DCT and there is no doubt that it provides a performance increase.
Appreciate 0