View Single Post
      10-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #168
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
But if the next M3 doesn't have an electrified drivetrain, which is quite likely, then the chances become much better for one more generation of the MT. Even if the S58 is 48V like the M256 and has integrated mild hybrid tech such as flywheel starter/generator or some form of electric turbo charging, the MT should still be easy to integrate.

I would also suggest that the fact that the next M2 will keep the I6 and also keep the M2 means that it could share some development with the M3/M4.

If anything, that will keep the MT around longer since one could argue that while a 340i could finally ditch the manual, an M340i ought to keep it around as long as it's still feasible.
I hope you are right on both accounts. There is certain hybrid tech I'm willing to accept as you mention before I just say F-it, jump technologies and go buy a Tesla. My concern is them strapping individual motors to fronts or rears, but F90 gives new hope that won't happen so something to help the overall system ala MGU-H and MGU-K would be great (reliable though?).

But then the manual fuel efficiency is lower and they facing overall fleet MPG requirements...

Anyway was enough for me to flip my '15 to an '18 M3 as is the perfect manual sports sedan that meets the needs of my family for the next 6 years...

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0