View Single Post
      10-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #172
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Fair point but you also have to remember there are limitations to what can be done with a vehicle that is based on a mass production sedan chassis with seating for 5, a big boot, tall glasshouse for better outward visibility, etc - the f80 is not a clean sheet design

The fact that bmw still use a mcpherson strut in an age where jaguar is using double wishbones and an all aluminum chassis on a small sedan also shows the platform is showing its age - skeptics will (rightfully) say the very fact there is a run of new models proves this platform is nearing its end of life cycle as the marketing department ramps up renewed interest ahead of a pending new release

But the bigger issue for me is anyone buying an f80 sedan expecting it will perform, actually rather feel, like a bespoke sports car
For sure. Have you driven the Jag XE before? I have. The double wishbone stuff feels great and the car is quite precise and controlled. That said, a lot more can be done with the MacPherson strut than what they did with it in our car. Literally just having better dampers, and maybe ~1in lower center of gravity, would've made our car substantially more enjoyable IMO. Of the cars I mentioned in my last post, I think only the c7 uses double wishbone (albeit with 19th century leaf springs lol, and it still kicks ass).
Appreciate 0