08-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #144
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Remember the M3 is not a full on sports car, its also a DD for many people as well as it seats 4 with a large trunk.
Yes, but if the a DD with power is what you want please buy a 335i sedan. I owned a e92 335i, was a great car......but its frustrating people confusing the focus of an ///M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
had a Nissan GT-R, had a blown '09 Challenger SRT8 6speed manual and now I'm driving the M3 6speed manual. All cars had been very track optimized with nearly slicks, big brakes, Pole Position seats, KW suspension, ....

But if the new one is gonna be a bi or tri turbo I'm gonna buy a fairly used Porsche GT3 RS.
No bullshit equipment nobody needs - natural aspirated - 6 speed manual - awesome seats - awesome brakes - real lightweight

Guys...we don't need stuff like "12 zone climate control", leather on the dashboard, "486 speakers sound system", parking sensors, rain sensors, start/stop automatic, Internet, TV, .... and all that stuff which adds weight and doesn't have nothing to do with a real driving machine! ... absolutely nothing!

All of these features are really nice to have and perfect for a 320d daily driver. But where's the real M-Car?
Why are we loosing the high-rev engine? The best of the breed of engine technology?
Why are you adding more and more weight with each generation?

A good friend of mine has a 1M Coupe with all mods done. That thing has over 390HP and massive torque. But even though. Pedal response is "slow" and driving a turbo will never give you that feeling what a NA engines gives you. The direct and lightspeed connection between your brain, foot and the butterfly valves.
Compared to a optimized M3 it's really a shame that the 1M Coupe has a M badge.

Another good friend of mine had the new Z4 with the 3.0 biturbo for 2 days from the dealer. He's a carnut like me and no ... he didn't buy it but bought a fairly used driving machine. The "old" Z4 M coupe.
Whatta difference. The new one is a fat comfortable crusing machine. But in terms of performance and feedback from the car and the street it feels like a schoolbus. Really. I'm absolutely disappointed of the "M brand".
Every new car they throw onto the market is getting more and more extras and weight and looses feedback as well as beeing a driving machine.

That's why I sold my GT-R and bought the M3. The Challenger is still here because it's not comparable and I just love that thing - but it's not a track tool.

And to be honest. After driving a track ready M3 e46 I know I should have bought that instead of an e92 M3.
Perfect summary. Can't put it any better than that......and for the guy who sai ///M cars are about efficiency, sounds like someone has been drinking the BMW ///Marketing Koolaide and really doesn't know the history of ///M cars and the tenants that USED to drive that division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Any M3 will continue with the same philosophy. It is not about Power and outright speed. It is about advancing the game in technology , lightness and remaining the best driving car in it's segment. It will continue to do what the E92 has done since 2007. Take on allcomers including new more powerful models such as the C63 AMG Coupe and Audi RS5 and still outdrive them.
SCOTT, I think you are leaving out a HUGE point here. ///M have always been a about a car with a soul as well. Do you not think or realize the loss of that "soul" that may occur when you abandon N/A engines? Listen, the N54/N55 tuned all day long does not feel like the S54, S65, S85 engines.......they just don't feel the same. Power is not everything, DELIVERY of that power is everything. How you MAKE that power is everything. Sorry, but if you took the current ///M3 and just switched out the S65 for a tuned N54/55 it would not feel like an ///M or as special as the car does now.

Don't underestimate the power of the soul.......because once its gone......IT IS GONE FOREVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Folks, this is just an early prototype. These aren't the production mirrors. You can expect sportier mirrors for the next gen M3 compared to the regular F30/F32.

Nobody seems to have much of an issue with the F10 M5 mirrors.

Attachment 565070
Great point Jason. I think anyone making comments on this mule from a visual aspect really is MISSING the boat. We all know mules are just basic exterior cladding meant to be used to test the guts of the car, not the looks.

Though could we please get BMW NOT to use the ///M vents in the F30/32 ///M3, cause they are hideous!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Who still believes a V6 is coming?
No, and just like I do with Monday mornings, I will continue to pretend it can't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
M cars are not about efficiency. Maybe I'm wrong, but trying to have high revving engines (hence relatively low torque) forces to have aggressive gearing which results poor economy. Great pleasure, sounds amazing, but not efficient...
+1......I don't think ///M division ever made efficiency a tenant of ///M development, or at least not that they ever advertised it. This "efficient dynamics" is the new hammer of the "ne and improved" marketing division for BMW Group.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0