12-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #42
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
First you said they are totally different engines. BMW says they are 75% the same. Then you drop to semantics to argue the differences. I listed some of the high points. Nothing I listed is inaccurate. Want a whole list? Look it up yourself. I don't see why this is a big deal, it just allows more interchangeability between N55 and S55 engines when building some aftermarket parts.

Next you stated that the ECU and tuning were totally different. Again, they aren't. Of COURSE the actual tables in the ECU aren't identical as compared to an N55, nobody ever said it was. It does appear to be the same ECU with a few extra inputs and outputs being used. The sensors and logic are the same. The same wastegate manipulation on the EWG N55s is just duplicated with the S55. Again, this is awesome in my book. It's a much larger cross section of cars that utilize the ECU with likely mostly the same map addresses, etc which will make ECU development more interesting and widespread to those who are looking for monetary gain from doing such a thing.

Finally, I'm intimately familiar with the JB4. I've been playing with turbo 6 cylinder BMWs since my first 335 (I've had 3) in 07. I was the first person with a juicebox other than Terry himself back in the day and helped a lot with it's development. Technically, the JB4 is not doing any kind of boost control at all on the S55 unless the EWG plugs are installed. It's simply biasing the MAP sensor data and relying on the ECU to do all of the work. This is in contrast with the the N54 JB4 in ISO mode for instance, which directly drives the WG solenoids itself, while routing the ECU signal voltages into resistors on the board to keep it happy while being completely out of the loop on actual boost control.
Honestly, trying to debate with you is a waste of my time.

I've said what I needed to say, go back and re-read what I said if you want to totally understand what exactly I'm saying. My message is very clear and consistent.
Appreciate 0