07-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #111
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
Swamp I think we are both pretty much on the same page.

...my only point is I think bmw proved with the 1M that they already have the goods to reach 400 crank hp with 5-6 year old technology (n54) in a reliable fashion.
I'm not so sure we are on the same page. You keep repeating how easy it would be to get 450 hp from 3 liters. I suppose I agree with that in theory but in practice it takes much more than you admit (the points about everything outside of the block and heads - you seem to be ignoring)

Tuners may believe a n54/n55 is reliable with 450 hp but I guarantee BMW M engine engineers do not. Plain and simple.

As well BMW has simply not produced a factory reliable 400 hp with the n54/n55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
kill some more parasitic losses from the lighter valvetrain and updates a few parts could probably achieve the 450 crank number.
In typical discussions about parasitic losses they are all after the crankshaft. Now for the very specialized topic about pre-crank or losses in the actual engine itself: You won't be making any appreciable gains (far less then 1%) from changes in the valvetrain.

We certainly do agree that a flat torque curve and linear power curve extending to around the 7k rpm range is very likely for the next engine.

Cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0