07-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #213
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I prefer track results. A dyno is good for comparing a before and after or comparing 2 cars on the same day back to back under the same conditions. The numbers themselves are mostly irrelevant but the disparity between them is as accurate as you will be able to measure without pulling the motors and using engine dynos.
That's exactly what I was saying in my earlier posts...so it's refreshing to see someone who agrees with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
As far as comparing the weight vs HP of the cars and determining something from the comparison. Well at the drag strip traction and gearing play a role. It's not so much how fast the shifting as the differential and transmission gearing matched ideally to the engines power curve.

Try not to look solely at peak HP numbers. How fast a car is isn't about just its peak numbers. It's more about the curve before and after. The cars will only be at their peak numbers for a moment.
Think of the power through the entire rpm range. Look at where the shift points are and how long it takes to first get to its ideal power range and how long it can stay in that range. It's the reason we have 7 and 8 speed transmissions now. The closer the gears are the better the trans can keep the engine in its ideal power range.

Also how much parasitic drag does one driveline have vs the other...Weight, design etc all play a part. Overall weight is part of the equation but how much of the Vettes weight is unsprung vs that of the M3.
We don't have enough data to make exact comparisons on the chassis.
All very valid points. I realize my earlier discussion of the M4 vs C7 was overly simplistic. Gearing, unsprung weight, area under the power curve...all things that will influence how a car performs.

The only reason I didn't include those aspects of car performance is because I was trying to focus in on how the C7 is not only faster than the M4 but also has more HP....something more than a few people on this forum refuse to acknowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Maybe the same dyno, but not same setup.

The dyno run for the C7 was done in 2WD mode. Lower losses and inertial impacts, hence higher reading.
I am not going to claim to be a dyno expert...so I don't really know if the C7's dyno test had lower losses or not...I'll take your word on it for the time being.

But anyone who thinks that the M4 truly has more or comparable HP to the c7, and there are a few on this forum, is living in a fantasy land. That was really my only reason for bringing up the two Motortrend dyno tests.
Appreciate 0