02-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #78
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Assuming that both the 4 series moniker and the 4 series GC do indeed come to pass (most of us agree at this point that these are pretty likely, yes?), and with an "F85" (I'll put that in quotes until we know the code for sure) GC from M division almost certain now too, I'd say that the M4 moniker is all but guaranteed to show up on that car.

With that in mind, and knowing the sedan is obviously slated to continue to wear the M3 moniker, I really can't imagine them deciding to put the M3 name on the coupe instead of the M4 name. Add to that the fact that I'll bet almost no one cares if they change the oft-derided convertible to M4, consider that a good bet too, so now we are up to two M4 body styles.

At that point, putting the M3 name on the coupe begins to sound somewhat ridiculous, to me at least. Granted there's a lot speculation in all of that, but does anyone really see the momentum headed in any other direction?
I'm not arguing for the point I was trying to make. No doubt, I see the same momentum that you do, taking BMW to a unified naming convention for sedans, coupes, 4-door coupes, SUVs, and XAVs. I was simply relaying the fact that arguments within the company continue to persist at some level about not losing the M3 brand -- the same arguments that took place (and won) before the introduction of the E9X and E9XM.

And Uli's comment about the M4 getting different styling treatment from the M3 (square fenders vs. round fenders, among other differences) coincide with Scott's earlier statements about BMW wanting to separate the two cars even more with this forthcoming generation. If the two cars are going to look markedly different, then it stands to reason that they be called something different as well. Unfortunately, I think that separation will be reflected in the price difference too, if the 30% gap between the M5 and M6 sticker price is any indication.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 02-29-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0