05-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #227
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The significant thing about M is that the standard car must meet a high standard of chassis development before it is even considered to be called an M. If you look at the 3er , 5er and X5 and X6 they are the benchmark in the segment. The perfect balance of dynamics and driver communication and the perfect base to become an M product.

What makes M stand out more than their Audi RS and Mercedes-Benz AMG competitors is that they are more innovative and more experimental.
So they have image building sports cars but with a BMW image is not required , a BMW customer knows what they will get and what is engineered in every BMW is decades of passion , precision and that unique character a fine balance of communication and dynamics and that is with every BMW, BMW are not select , every BMW must have that unique DNA which brings that precison of the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Think of the innovative factors of BMW M especially in bringing CFRP to a 3er and you can see how M is more experimental than its competitors.

One of the interesting aspects of M is that they have limits , they can only go far whether financially or from a technical stand point, but they still excell.
They might not have the expansive resources as VAG but that is actually good because no matter what you have in terms of VAGs resources they still manage to Fuck up! and especially where it matters... Driver Communication.

Audi are in the midst of trying to imitate BMW that they fail to grasp what makes a BMW and now at the eve of the forthcoming revolution at BMW namely the advent of FWD. Which underlines BMW's strengths by adapting what makes a great RWD BMW and applying this to a FWD concept.
having sampled BMW's adaptation of FWD it is a revolution , its BMW's take on FWD and driver communication is not lost in the translation.
Audi should be concerned , if the best it can manage is "Average".

A great example is the Audi RS5. They had 3 years to build a better car than the M3. They failed hard.

I like BMW. I love M. I adore the M3. I'm on my 4th M3. It's delicious.