View Single Post
      09-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #224
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Yeah right. So that must be why Top Gear, and notably Jermey Clarkson who is not known for being a BMW lover, has chosen a BMW 1M (with a twin turbo in-line six) to be the ultimate fun car of 2011.
There's no doubt the 1M is a great bang for buck proposition. I would expect that to continue with the M2. However, the current M3 is an entirely different experience. From its grumbling at start up, to it's growl at WOT, I've never had a car like this. Had they taken the s65, bored it out and thrown it into the F M3/4, I'd be on the wait list. Instead, they decided to modify a N55, which is fine provided they drop the price, but they won't. I hate to say it, but after owning an e36, 46, and 90, the F just looks boring. it's the kind of engine I'd expect in a 1/2 series M. I guess I am just old fashioned, and I'm only 35.

Like I said in a previous post, taking stock engines and going to town in the NA era was fucking impressive. Producing moderately more power and charging a premium for it in a turbo era is just silly. If porsche, who was in my estimation on par with M division, can do it, why can't BMW?

PPS. Fuck CAFE right in the ear
Appreciate 0