View Single Post
      05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Of course they're doing it for the profit. They are a corporation in an incredibly competitive industry. Now I hate those people who will defend corporate greed or fraud "because it's a free market" or "you don't have to buy it if you don't like it": that's bullshit, BMW as a brand has actively developed and courted an enthusiast community if they do something to piss us off they should expect to hear about it.

However, this whole uproar over the name change from 3 to 4 boggles my mind. It's the dumbest thing. All they are changing is literally the name. It makes no difference. Every BMW enthusiast and fuck even any CAR enthusiast who follows industry developments will immediately know what you're talking about when you say 4-series.

The reality is that the coupe demographic is shopping for a slightly more premium car than the sedan demographic. BMW has always differentiated between those two types of customers by including more standard equipment on the coupe and selling it for a higher price. Now they will be able to differentiate the branding as well and include even more premium touches while being able to pass those costs onto the customer because it is not tied up with the 3 series sedan brand.

It's really not a big deal. I wish more enthusiasts were in uproar over the rumors of a V6 engine because regardless of whatever bullshit BMW might come up with to legitimize it, it is mechanically impossible for a V6 to be as smooth as an I6, much less the 90* V6 that is rumored whose angle won't even cancel out a lot of the vibrations that a 60* V6 would.
Appreciate 0