View Single Post
      06-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #100
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Here is my take on the M4/M3 competitors.

Some people seems to forget that M3/M4 is based on BMW AG's regular 3 and 4 series which in turn is basically the same cars underneath.

The BMW M then make some modifications to the standard chassis and develops some new parts and tune them for the cars to make them more sporty ect ,the same is done at for example Audi RS and Mercedes AMG.

This ensures if not to heavily modified that the standard versatility is still intact and i guess this is why so many people like these type of cars.

So i think the competitors for the M3/M4 is Audi RS5/RS4, Mercedes C63 AMG sedan/coupe, Lexus RCF/IS F, Cadillac ATS-V and maybe some future Jaguar based on the coming XE model.

I dont think the for example Porsche 911 or Corvette C7 is M3/M4 competitors those cars are dedicated bespoke sportcars built from the ground up to be sportcars.
Look for example at the Corvette C7 bespoke aluminium chassis thats a long way from regular 3/4 series chassis.
When building a dedicated sportcar mostly it results in a faster car than one based on a regular family car.
But of course there are drawbacks when you built a dedicated sportcar you lose some of that versatility and comfort,interior space,luggage space, number of seats, to low ground clearance ect often a standard based car can bring all days all year round.
Appreciate 0