First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
What's the point on a supper heavy M car. Just get the 435 convert if u dont care about performance.
I wonder how the E90/E92 M3 people at the track felt when my "slow" E93 M3 had faster lab times.

While most people I meet at the track are very open minded, there are some who are like you (to be more precise, they make comments similar to yours).
I loved being next to them when we were looking at track times and seeing them be shocked that my times were significantly quicker than theirs, even though I had a "pointless super heavy M car" because I obviously "[didn't] care about performance"

The E93 M3 was, at the time, the only car I could comfortably afford where I was able to take it to the track, beat on it hard, drive hard, yet be able to take it for a TOPDOWN cruise through PCH, up Angeles Crest Highway, through Sunset and Hollywood. It was a great dual purpose car. Yes, it had it's disadvantages at the track, but that didn't hinder the joy of driving it.

Very few people will be able to take a M3, convertible or not, anywhere near the limit. Thus, I feel that as long as you enjoy the driving experience and your time behind the wheel, the numbers on a piece of paper are simply that: information on a piece of paper. If numbers on paper were so important, one could argue as to why one would even buy a M3? (convertible, coupe, sedan). Why not go buy a Japanese car that can perform similarly for a fraction of the cost?
Well said. I love my E93 M. I had a dedicated track car and sold it b/c I only tracked it once or twice a year. I may track the E93 just to try it out, as I'm sure it will do just fine. Sure, the E93 isn't the best choice if you do a lot of track events. Doesn't mean it won't perform well either.

Like you, I love the dual purpose of the E93 M. Mine spends most if it's tile with the top down. Can get enough of that engine and exhaust sound. :-)
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0