azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I wonder how the E90/E92 M3 people at the track felt when my "slow" E93 M3 had faster lab times….

While most people I meet at the track are very open minded, there are some who are like you (to be more precise, they make comments similar to yours).
I loved being next to them when we were looking at track times… and seeing them be shocked that my times were significantly quicker than theirs, even though I had a "pointless super heavy M car" because I obviously "[didn't] care about performance"

The E93 M3 was, at the time, the only car I could comfortably afford where I was able to take it to the track, beat on it hard, drive hard, yet… be able to take it for a TOPDOWN cruise through PCH, up Angeles Crest Highway, through Sunset and Hollywood. It was a great dual purpose car. Yes, it had it's disadvantages at the track, but that didn't hinder the joy of driving it.

Very few people will be able to take a M3, convertible or not, anywhere near the limit. Thus, I feel that as long as you enjoy the driving experience and your time behind the wheel, the numbers on a piece of paper are simply that: information on a piece of paper. If numbers on paper were so important, one could argue as to why one would even buy a M3? (convertible, coupe, sedan). Why not go buy a Japanese car that can perform similarly for a fraction of the cost?

I couldn't agree more. I still want a fast, performance oriented vehicle, but also one i can take the top down and take my kids for a drive along the beach in. This car was made for me. I don't care if it is a "bit" slower than the hard-top, as it is not ALL about performance. If it truly was, then most of you should be buying GT3's, not M3's in the first place.
Appreciate 0