View Single Post
      03-22-2024, 12:46 PM   #1
BigFatRaccoon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT|2016 X5 35i

First Time Buyer Guide?

Hey guys - long time lurker first time poster, hoping to get some wisdom from you all.

Looking at seriously purchasing this example of a '15 F80 6MT, about 50k miles. Clean title, no damage, plenty of service records and everything seems to check out.

1) Is there anything I should ask the shops to specifically check during the PPI for this car platform or is a general once-over good enough?

2) How has your guys' ownership experience been? Is there anything you wish you knew before buying or something to specifically look out for as an owner? What's your mileage at for the long-term owners?

-My understanding is that the F80 platform is pretty reliable (especially when stock). I'm pretty familiar with the regular maintenance as my daily for the last 5 years has been a N55 X5, and previously we had a stage 2 F10 M5 in the garage.

3) For the 6-speed owners, is there any sort of "jult" coming out of 1st gear?

-The seller reports that occasionally when the car is warm, it may do that from a start/stop (attributed to a small hotspot on the flywheel), but the techs who drove it from the shop it was regularly serviced at said that it was not an issue and they couldn't identify it with the test drive.

-Regardless, I've budgeted about $2.5-3k in case the flywheel+clutch go out in 10-15k miles from my local independent BMW shop. ($2k in parts, $1k in labor), although I don't suspect it will present any issues at least for a year since I'm not going to track it, clutch dump often, etc.

Any info or suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence before buying.
Appreciate 1
wishbone178.50