03-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #114
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnash View Post
Dont mean to belabor this...not much we can do about what BMW decides to do anyway, but you still havent given me a reason why you think it makes sense to re-badge the M3 coupe to an M4, like you said earlier.

Sure theyve been hinting at it for a while, sure other manufacturers have done it in the past, but other than potential increase in profits for BMW, there is no benefit for customers as far as I can tell.

Granted, the M4 will be slightly more powerful and refined than the new M3, which will be slightly more powerful and refined than the current M3. While these technological advances definitely warrant an increase in price from the current M3 base price, they definitely DONT warrant an increase in price from the new M3 to the M4 models, considering the fact that the base technology used in both cars will be the same.

The only factor that will drive a price difference between the M3 and the M4 will be the fact that the coupe version is usually much more in demand, and all BMW is trying to do here is to capitalize on that increase in demand by significantly increasing M4 pricing compared to the M3.
Look at the M5/M6 ... simply the same technic base but 20-25% increased price ... I am sure BMW would do the same with the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0