View Single Post
      02-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #225
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yeah I priced out swapping Aluminum for CL on my E90 at the dealer and it was just under $1200. Ended up grabbing it from a forum member for $400. I'm sure there will be some who didn't have the CF standard option who want it. Hopefully I can trade or something.
Exactly. And, exactly why I will spec my car with CF trim even though I'd prefer aluminum if I had to choose between those two only. I figure the CF trim has a higher resale value than the aluminum trim. The F3x guys will likely eat it up.

On the topic of Piano Black trim - I wonder if it is at all feasible to simply refinish the Anthracite trim with a Piano Black look? I suppose it depends on the wood grain which may be finer on the Piano Black than on other wood trims such as the Anthracite in order to deemphasize the texture and highlight the dark shade itself. But that aside, I'd think that if you took it to a woodworking shop with good finishing skills, they could pull it off with more than acceptable results.

The one other problem with the Piano Black trim is that, like all of the wood trims, it requires the Chrome Trim Highlight Finisher. This sort of kills it for me. I would much prefer the Black Chrome finisher. I suppose the only way to get that would be to go through individual, which would probably balloon costs even more. Or, I suppose one could attempt to separate the trim finishers from wood trim and from a donor piece of CF or aluminum trim and swap them. Apparently folks have done this type of surgery with the red and blue finishers as found in the F3x Sport and MSport respectively. But it sounds like a dicey proposition with potentially expensive consequences if you mess it up.
Appreciate 0