View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

My hope for the S55 comes from....Porsche?

Yes, that's right, Porsche. I would invite all of you to view Evo magazine (UK's) interview with 'Mr. GT3' Andreas Preuninger. Many of you might have read this, and indeed, the comparison with the new, 991 based 911 GT3 to the upcoming F80 / F80 M3 / M4 is apt. How to you take a very analog car, an iconic analog car at that, and make it relevant in the digital age?

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/28..._pictures.html

While Porsche has not changed to turbocharging as BMW has, I am hoping (maybe too much, but I believe it is well founded) that the BMW engineers will follow many of the same credos that were followed by the Porsche design team in updating the GT3 to the 991 chassis.

BMW knows that the M5 and M6 are different animals than the M3. The M3 is race derived and is designed to be much harder core than the M5. Although the switch to turbos will inevitably dull this somewhat, from what I have read here, I believe that BMW will not lose the plot with the F80 / F82. These modern components can be tuned to have the same type of feel and effect that the older ones do.

No, you're never going to have the thrill of 8,000 RPM in a turbo engine, but that doesn't mean it can't be just as exciting.

In any event, a really cool video and I was struck by the candid answers to the questions...as well as the parallels to what we are facing moving from E9X to F8X!!
Appreciate 0