View Single Post
      05-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #42
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I'm a little bothered by BMW's recent decision to throw the "M" moniker around onto everything - especially in FRONT of the model name. M550d, M135i, M650d, etc etc. Such a sell-out move. To me, the letter "M" should be reserved for true M cars - M3, M4, M5, M6. Call it a sport version, but not M. If anything, put the M at the END of the name. This is just BMW cashing in on its M reputation, at the expense of diluting it. Not even AMG throws around their moniker as much as BMW is doing now. I certainly hope the new M variants don't come with the traditional M logo and colors. That would just be too much.

The reality is that BMW M is transforming/succumbing thanks to market pressure from AMG whose model was to take the same engine and throw it into all their various cars and call it an AMG. BMW's model was to make bespoke M engines built from the ground up from each car - engines they would actually use (albeit slightly modified) in their proper race cars. Now, BMW M buckled to that pressure and has abandoned the bespoke engine model, and is doing what AMG did - taking the same engine and throwing it into everything (example - X5M, and X6M, M5, M6 - all sharing essentially the same engine). Not to mention throwing the M logo onto everything. It makes the M brand less prestigous - not to mention less identifiable with true motorsport. There's an argument to be made that BMW M's decision to turbo their M engines is also driven in part to compete with AMG.

It's a bit sad really.... to me at least.

-esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0