View Single Post
      12-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #41
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
I wouldn't believe they have 34,500 into that car. I would ask for proof. Why would they be asking only a little more. The typical margins for a dealer don't match up.

Wonder if it was a new car trade in from the first owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Dealers don't let what they have into a car slip. They lie about it to try to try to justify why they won't move off their price and get the buyer to cave.
Had a buddy of mine who works for BMW do some math for me. This car was a lease, it was only supposed to have 45k miles on it when it was returned. At 20 cents a mile, he owed over $10k for the mileage and that's before you factor in the cosmetic damage and the bald tires it was returned with. Knowing roughly what the residual should have been, we estimated they had mid $30's in it before we even sat down with the salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post
Why must you get one with such high mileage? Sorry if I missed you mentioning. A M car is technically higher risk as it's a premium vehicle. Fixes will be more expensive if you get unlucky. Granted, one could justify and say this is BMW's performance division so they built the engines better and stronger, but why take that risk getting a super high mileage M?

If you are adamant about getting a M and $ was an issue, I'd wait for it to come down in price in a few months - year. Just don't get too desperate to get into a M that you are shafting yourself by getting a super high mileage one.
Don't need a high mileage one per se, my plan was to upgrade from the 335 in 5 years and grab an F80. Then I saw this one and figured it may be worth a look. I've owned multiple high mileage M cars in the past, so I'm aware what they cost to run. Problem with this car was they didn't leave me enough room to feel confident that I wouldn't spend the $10k difference from that of a low mileage car on this high mileage car's maintenance.

I'll continue to track their values, but it looks like I'll be sticking to my plan and keeping my 335 for another 3-4 years.