08-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #77
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
You're starting to sound a bit like a fanboy. I get you have a bias and I do as well but don't dismiss the achievement of this mustang. I would not call the M4 a great car. I am not sure bmw makes great cars anymore. They make a good car. But great was the e46 M3 when it debuted in late 2000. Similar with the e39 m5 once the fastest 4dr sedan on the planet.

I actually get this comparison and I think these are two cars people would actually consider cross shopping. That said the build quality in all ford's is quite bad. They also have a tendency to not rust proof most of the chassis parts for whatever reason. The body pinch welds aren't sealed either. Lots of corners cut to stay at 55K
The M4 *is* a great car. Problem is, USDM manufacturers are making great cars too. The E39 M5/E46 M3 had virtually no domestic competitors, so of course it was a great car; it had barely had a 'good' car to be compared against: the C6 Z06. Barely anyone cross-shopped an E46/E39 M to a Corvette though. Now, anyone with a brain would be downright foolish to not look at a Corvette or any other Alpha platform GM car, or Ford Mustang variant.

I drove a GT350 last week and was overly impressed with it. So much that I didn't feel so great sitting in my ZCP M4 shortly after. Ford is currently making M engines better than M. The GT350 is a great car, just with a different personality than the M4.

Imagine how great the M2 would be if they put an updated 2017 S54-based engine in it with 360hp? It would blow minds.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50