08-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #85
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
Interesting. I suspect most of you have never driven a GT 350. I have had 3 gen of M3, and have been a long time BMW guy. Plenty of M track time including the Ring. I bought the GT 350 instead of the new M4 and could not be happier. The look, the steering, the brakes, and the engine!! The sound at 8250 rpm is insane. The M4 sound is lame in comparison. Sure the interior is not as polished, but it is not that bad. This guy maybe can't drive a manual transmission, because all the tested numbers previously are way better than this. Go look up R Pobst's review of the GT 350! For 60k which is what mine cost it is a way better option than an 82k M4! You can have the overweight BMW's with sound pumped through the stereo. The Shelby is a bit raw, but the best GT bargain out there. And I daily drive mine with no issues whatsoever, other than people staring and taking pictures!!
They are great cars. Either people don't want them to be because they're "just a Ford" or because they need to justify why they spent $15k more. I'm a BMW guy, but I'm also a car guy in general. Never cared much for Ford, but they've been making some really cool things for us car guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
No it would not.

For various reasons, it is not possible to compare power ratings of NA and modern FI engine for performance. For instance, an S54 based engine with 360hp is essentially the E46 M3 CSL engine, and the N55 powered M2 uterly trumps it in terms of acceleration.
Yes it absolutely would. Imagine the C&D reviews saying how BMW got back to it's roots! lol. I'd take 360hp from an N/A I6 screaming towards 8K RPM (ahem, have you HEARD CSL airbox intake noises? Most glorious sounds in the world) any and every single day over the N55 with it's torque.

When was the last time you achieved your advertised/tested 0-60? 0-60 times are only good for C&D comparisons & the 17 year olds who read them.

The difference between the current M2 and decade old CSL is only 2-3 tenths of a second. I wouldn't call that trumping the CSL, and I'd still take that hit to have a good ole screaming N/A I6 under the hood. Hell, take the turbos off the S55 and throw that in there. The S55 is eerily similar to that of the S54 anyway.
Appreciate 0