View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BIMMERPOST Pebble Beach Recap: BMW M4 Concept Highlights, Reactions and Notes

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BIMMERPOST Pebble Beach Recap: BMW M4 Concept Highlights, Reactions and Notes
COMMENTS

As you've seen, we spent the latter half of last week at the Pebble Beach Automotive Week in Monterey, California, which is an annual week-long banquet of events for automobile enthusiasts and connoisseurs who converge on the Monterey area. While the collection of automotive hardware (everything from some of the most expensive classics to the latest model exotics) spotted around the Monterey peninsula was the largest and most impressive gathering we've ever witnessed, the highlight of the trip for us was having the first look at the BMW M4 Coupe Concept, which BMW unveiled at several events throughout the weekend. The following is a brief timeline, our personal reaction to the M4 Concept and some interesting notes on the M3/M4.

BMW Villa in Pebble Beach - Thursday, August 15

The official press conference for the unveiling of the M4 Concept at the BMW Villa where it was presented by BMW M CEO Dr. Friedrich Nitschke to select press (video and photos below).

The Quail Motorsports Gathering in Carmel - Friday, August 16

The M4 Concept was unveiled to the general press and the public (those who had tickets to the Quail Motorsports Gathering at The Quail) (photos below).

Laguna Seca - Saturday, August 17

The M4 Concept was on display in the BMW Paddock at the Laguna Seca race track during the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (video and photos below).

Name:  DSC02302.jpg
Views: 19480
Size:  96.6 KB

REACTIONS TO THE M4 CONCEPT

Southlight (Felix) and I were in attendance and were able to compare our impressions of the M4. Perhaps the most telling reaction we shared was that, as current and previous E90/E92 M3 owners, we would both consider the M4 as a worthy replacement when it comes to styling. The M4 remedies what I and many of our members consider to be the achilles heel of the 4 Series design - the front fascia. The M4's aggressive front bumper gives the 4 Series based front fascia a much sportier and menacing look. It features large aggressive air curtain vents like the 1M Coupe, as well as air breathers on the front fenders, both which add functionality and sporty touches to the M4's look. Like many of you, we feel that the M4's air breathers are styled and placed in a much more natural position than on the 4 Series - as part of the end of the side body lines which hook down, rather than floating somewhat randomly on the lower front fenders.

One of my favorite aspect of the M4's design are the lines which start from the hood bump, continue through the carbon fiber roof and end in two dart lines on the trunk. Others seem to agree, as this design element was one of the most complimented parts of the M4 that we overheard during the various private and public showings. We certainly hope this thoughtful design touch is retained for the production M4 (which spy photos suggest is the case).

Another favorite is the M3 CSL inspired trunk. The M4 Concept trunk is not as radically curved and lifted as the CSL trunk, but there's enough curvature and extension on it to give the rear a very sporty look. Judging by our member's reactions here, most of you agree.

The side mirrors are another of my favorite elements on the M4 Concept. It reminds me of the E9x M3's double-pronged mirrors, but with more flair and a more natural implementation. The top 'prong' (although it really isn't a prong anymore) has been stylized and becomes an extension of the mirror (as opposed to being part of the mirror base as on the E9x M3).

The biggest qualm I have with the M4's design is the styling of the lower rear bumper. It is a bit overstyled and busy. The lower rear bumper is flanked by vents which mirror the front bumper air curtain vents. And there are many other folds and lines on the rear lower bumper, in addition to the carbon fiber diffuser with fins and carbon fiber exhaust sleeves. Together, it's all just a tad too much. But, I've always thought that the rear on the 4 Series was one of its best aspects, not needing as much sporty design additions as the car's front end. Felix: I happen to like the styling of the rear. It fits well with the concept's overall design and I found the E92 M3's rear design to be too bland. What I do not like are the M stripes on the carbon fiber roof. But, these are unlikely to make production anyway.

That brings us to the M4's Aurum Dust color, which everyone and their grandmas are talking about, and which BIMMERPOST members have playfully called "radioactive fallout yellow," "hangover urine yellow" and the like. The M4's paint has everyone's attention, and that was BMW's goal. Rather than stick with a conventional BMW M concept color such as Chrome Shadow (which was used on the F10 M5 and E92 M3 Concepts) the powers that be at M decided to make a bolder statement with the M4's color.

It's a difficult color to capture properly on camera as you can see by the various tinges of yellow that the M4 takes on in our photos. Its appearance changes depending on lighting conditions. To my eyes, it's best described as a very metallic Phoenix Yellow (the launch color for the E46 M3) and like Phoenix Yellow, it does have some green hue to it. BMW M had considered a brighter yellow (more like Dakar Yellow), but went with an even bolder choice here. While it's not a color I would choose for my personal car, it's more attractive and flashy in person, and looks much better in flesh compared to the official press photos, which suffered from too much digital post-processing.

Will this Aurum Dust color make production? Not in this exact form and name, but expect a yellow color that's not too different, and as a standard option color. There will also be a standard green color option as BMW looks to expand the color palette for the M4.

Name:  DSC02284.jpg
Views: 24882
Size:  114.4 KB

MORE M4 NOTES

Coolest Elements: Lines running from hood dome to roof and to trunk. Brake ducts feeding air from front air intakes to cool brakes (photo). Side mirrors. CSL type trunk.

Specs: Many of you were hoping to learn technical specs from this reveal, but BMW purposely did not release any specs. Some technical details will be shared at the end of September, but some will not be revealed until around the time that the production M3 and M4 debuts in Detroit early next year. The purpose of showing the M4 this weekend was to reveal its styling and to preview a more colorful palette coming for the M4.

Interior/Engine: Why no photos of the interior and/or engine compartment? Because these were not open for photographing. And they may not have been very telling in any case.

M Performance Parts: We predict that some of the carbon fiber bits featured on the M4 Concept may become available as M Performance Parts for the M4 - i.e. front carbon fiber lip, rear carbon fiber diffuser and carbon fiber exhaust sleeves.

Where Next?: The M4 Coupe Concept will stay in Monterey for another reveal at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest on Tuesday, August 20 at 8PM Pacific Time [see live stream details]. It will not appear at the upcoming Frankfurt Show.

M3/M4 Timeline: The production M3 and M4 models will both have their debuts at the 2014 NAIAS in Detroit in January. Ordering will be available beginning in January-February and production begins in the March-May window. Expect deliveries by early Summer.

M3/M4 Price: Just because the M4 Concept looks expensive doesn't mean that the M3/M4 will be priced with a much higher premium than the outgoing E9x M3. BMW is trying its best to hold pricing close to the outgoing M3, albeit with adjustments made to reflect additional standard equipment that the F80 M3 and F82 M4 will feature. No promises here though.

As always, stay up to date on the latest BMW M3 and M4 news and features @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/m4/
And follow the latest details/info/spy pics compilation @ http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602770

BMW M4 Overview from Pebble Beach (with Interviews):

Laguna Seca Reveal in the BMW Paddock:

BMW M4 Concept Reveal B-Roll clips from BMW Villa (opening night press conference):

BMW M4 First Reveal at BMW Villa in Pebble Beach:

BMW M4 Coupe Concept

BMW M4 Coupe Concept Reveal - BMW Villa

BMW M4 Coupe Reveal at The Quail

BMW M4 Coupe on Display at Laguna Seca - BMW Paddock

Appreciate 0