United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtose92 View Post
Because it is an M3 trademark. The E36 didn't have it, and that was the generation where it looked most similar to the base 3er. Regardless of the engine and the "clearance" issues, I hope that they keep the power dome on the new m3/m4. It just makes the front end look that much more menacing when its coming down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Yes, you are right when you said that the dome was used to clear the engine on the e90/e92/e93 ///M models. However on the new twin turbo engine, I really think some guys wanted a dome/bulge on the hood for aesthetic purposes. Without that dome/bulge, the new M3 does not stand out any longer since it's sharing the same hood as the the F30 3-series.

It would really suck if the hood on the F30/F32 3-series is interchangeable with the new ///M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryce View Post
it will def be puss without it. what would make it look cool? flared fenders that you don't notice unless you know about it or it's standing next to a base 3 and quad exhaust? not enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
The E46 M3 had a slight power dome in the hood. It had a 3.2L I6..
Why not have it in the new model?
While the E46 also had a slight dome, I wouldn't necessarily call it an M3 trademark. The same could be said about the quad exhausts for example. The E30 and E36 M3's did not have the dome or quad exhausts, so technically 50% of the M3 generations did not have these trademarks.

I'm not going to lose sleep on whether the next M3/M4 has the dome or not, but I'm looking at it as function over form. If the dome is needed in order to clear the engine like before, then that's cool in addition to being aesthetically pleasing. If the dome is not needed for clearance but is there, then it seems like it is trying to imitate something. Think of cars with fake hood scoops for another example. The flared fenders are there as a function of covering the wider track and wider wheels/tires.