05-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I think the M4 had its work cut out for it to impress this reviewer since he started his piece bemoaning the death of NA engines and recalling with fondness some of the great ///M engines of yore.

What chance did it have?

I think the M4 grew on him a bit after he explored its capabilities. Still it was bound not to push the right buttons because it delivered its power more capably and evenly compared with the engines he liked to wax eloquent about.

It comes down to preferences. What doesn't push his buttons, will push others. He loved the previous models because they returned so much joy 2% of the time, it compensated for their failings the other 98%. This doesn't suit me for one.

I just get a feeling about these new ///M's that they are on the right side of a curve that a lot of manufactures are going to miss when it comes to continually putting out larger displacement thirsty V8's. Just a hunch that BMW went with the right zig, whilst many of their competitors zagged.
I would agree 100% if he wouldn't also compare it to 1M! As I quoted and commented above just before your post. Or if he wouldn't also favor the supposedly inferior but also FI engine of the Jaguar (he doesn't exactly say that but it is there between the lines). I am afraid it is not only the turbo character that made him wishing more from M4 but the way that the car drives, as a whole.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0