12-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #88
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
I used to look forward to the jump from one generation M5/M3 to the next.

Now, for whatever reason, I don’t feel that attachment to either. An entire generation of the M3/M4 turbo has come and gone and I couldn’t care less.
It was a slide over for turbos to appease environmental restrictions and not a move to grassroots 6 cylinder engines.
The cars seem underwhelmed, the reviews for the cars seem to say they’re underwhelmed then the marketing group slaps on performance packages that should have been on the car in the first place.
Doesn’t everyone remember the anticipation of the e46 from e36 and the e90 from the e46? I’d pick up the magazines and dream of the day I’d get any one of those cars, now I look at the dealership across the street - Porsche.

And for the first time I think the M5 is being compared to the E63 AMG as the benchmark and for the first time I would seriously consider it as a daily.
aaah... nostalgia.. nowadays you wouldn't even pick up a magazine ... heck they are barely available.

That nostalagia is there for the E36 and E46 because you couldn't find out info about new models back then other than reading the Roundel, and other car magazines..
now you can sit in your living room, flip a video review to your smart TV and see and hear a video test.. so... that anticipation... well it exists now.. just differently.

I remember shopping for my E30 M3 waiting each month for the Roundel Magazine. I contacted sellers by PHONE and obtained PRINT photos via SNAIL MAIL. However.. that's not what made my E30 M3 so great..

While I can understand you may not be excited about the new models, that doesn't mean that they aren't just as impressive... Without a doubt.. the newer cars will run circles around an older M car..

Personally.. while I anticipated the E36 M3 and the E46 M3... both were disappointing to me in the same way the F8x doesn't interest you.
Bigger. Heavier. more tech . less nimble. Certainly more powerful.. higher limits ... but not as much fun.

I passed on the E36,, the E46.. and your E90.. I did find the right combination of size, power and handling in the 1M.. and while I got in line early to see what the M2 would bring.. thus far it currently underwhelms. I am excited for an M2 CSL.. but only if BMW makes it available as manual. No Automatic for me.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-07-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0