View Single Post
      02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #87
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
BMW introduced forced induction (turbocharging )back in 1972, the Turbo prototype and the 1973 2002 Turbo , way before //M was established. I don't see any problems
In real life they are easier to drive and more powerful and get a better Mpg too plus on track they're no slouch either....

Cheers
Robin(ex E90 M3)
Oh I'm not saying that FI engines aren't a desirable compromise, I'm just saying that BMW PR is full of shit. They're purely corporate-minded. They are just going to say whatever makes them look best.

BMW PR was very negative on forced induction when some competitors were beginning to utilize it, especially on smaller engines. MB with their "Kompressor" engines in some of their smaller cars, Audi with its 2.0T and 2.7T engines, and of course porsche had been selling their Turbo for a long time. BMW wanted to be seen as spiritually closer to Ferrari with their high revving engines.

Back then they were only selling NA engines so they claimed that FI engines inevitably lead to unacceptably compromised handling. Now they only have FI engines so they claim that NA is an unacceptable compromise on fuel economy.
Appreciate 0