View Single Post
      05-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
So I'm wondering how different or improved could the F80 M3 handling be compared to an F30 with the adaptive suspension?

Obviously nobody's driven an F80 yet, but I'm hoping some anecdotal evidence from the e90 M3 or an eduactaed guess can answer my question. TIA!
This is strictly my opinion, but I should think that the adaptive properties of the suspension are not germane to the matter of which performs better from a handling perspective. I do acknowledge that while today's M3 offers adaptive suspension whereas today's 335i does not, for the F30/F80 both will be adaptive. But this needn't be seen as a sign that the two newer generation cars will be closer by comparison in the handling department.

Consider, first off, that even an M3 without adaptive suspension (EDC) will easily out handle a stock 335i, even when the latter is optioned with the M Sport suspension. Secondly, keep in mind that adaptive suspension is by and large a tool to make modern automobiles more comfortable while requiring minimal compromise in the handling department. Although, on the other hand, I believe that an M3 today will in fact be slightly faster on the track with EDC when spec'd than without. However, just because you give a 335i that same technology, it does not mean you elevate it to M3 performance.

Disclaimer: I am not up to speed yet on the latest technology used by BMW for their adaptive suspension. Things have likely evolved markedly from the EDC used in the M3 which was developed years ago. That said, everything above still applies.
Appreciate 0