09-12-2022, 09:15 PM   #35
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroThermal View Post
As promised, I did a bit of experimenting with BM3 while monitoring the CAL-ID/CVN values. These DME parameter have recently been causing a number of people fail state inspection - even after returning to stock. Wanted to provide some insight to hopefully clear up some of the conflicting information on the forums.

To return to a true stock configuration, I had Kubax remote in and flash the car back to factory. I then verified the CAL-ID/CVN in ISTA+ to confirm:

After passing inspection, I then came back and re-flashed via BM3 my modified tune. Note, I did not do any DCT tuning. I then read the CAL-ID/CVN values again:

As expected, the EngineControl unit now has conflicting values that would cause an inspection failure if attempted in this state. I then used BM3 to return to my "stock" map. After a successful flash, I then reread the values:

Noting the CVN was changed from the modified BM3 tune, but it did not return to the initial stock value. It appears BM3 may not be flashing your actual stock tune when using its flash to stock feature, or is simply not rewriting the DME completely to align the calibration and integrity values. Even after flashing back to "stock" in BM3, I would still be flagged during inspection for a mismatched CAL-ID/CVN.

It is worth noting most states are not checking your CAL-ID/CVN values, and you may pass inspection in your state just fine on a tune or on the pseudo-stock tune provided by the software. This information is really relevant for those of us in a state that does check, limited to CA and MA as far as I'm aware. Hopefully this helps someone avoid the headache of being flagged and referred to a state inspector, or to help inform their decision on which tuning vender to pursue.
Damn, great information thanks, I am in Cal and was planning on go BM3. I will probably just wait till after my smog.