07-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #127
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
No one said turbos are useless, again see post just above...

Turbo engines are fantastic at producing maximum levels of specific torque and specific power (i.e. per displacement). That certainly contributes to their popularity and success.

The issue is that in many types of racing and even in non-competitive spirited driving there is a real need for turbo lag reduction or even elimination entirely of turbo lag. Who can argue against more power sooner, that is the true irony in your kooky defintions and bias.
Hmmm, yes you have journo's that know nothing about cars that claim the M5 is laggy....because someone mentioned 'turbo'. I can post a video of my M6 accelerating from 50mph, not much lag in that at all, and we know it will very quickly pull lengths on a bigger displacement, lighter, e63/4 M6.

So why don't you plot E92 vs F80 torque curves, and show me where E92 is better even allowing for a momentary lag in boost on F80. What you'll conclude is that you're choosing to ignore a heathy torque increase across the entire rev range due to a blink of an eye 'lag' period. Talk about kooky ....or maybe torquey cars scare you?

BTW, that blink of an eye lag? a good driver responds to that, gets used to it, predicts it, eliminates the 'big issue'.

As for the new M3/M4, BMW have stuck with a fairly large displacement to achieve circa 450hp. This equals Low boost....the lower the boost the lower the lag. It would have been more ballsy to have gone for a 2.2litre 4 pot squeezed to get the same power. Similar to what Mercedes did in the AMG A45.

Whilst on AMG A45 here is what Auto Express wrote about power delivery from the little 2 litre 4 pot "there’s hardly any delay between pushing the throttle and feeling the thrust". I know a bit difficult for a turbo hater to digest but there you go
Appreciate 0