View Single Post
      11-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Most countries don't actually "require" winter tires. The only ones that do are Austria and Amsterdam (I think). However, if you're involved with an incident in most countries without M+S (all weather tires), you're likely to be held at fault. Their definitions of "Winter" also vary, but generally are understood to be mid-October to mid-April.

Aside from all of that, I was glad as hell I had them on the trip from Venice to Zurich. It ranged from sheet rain to full on snowing. Very treacherous conditions.

As far as everything closing down, yes, I found this to be the case as well. I had planned to hit Großglockner, Stelvio Pass, Gotthard Pass, Susten Pass and Grimsel Pass. Not a single one was open, and Großglockner wasn't even raining (the others, I probably wouldn't even have attempted if they were, due to the terrible weather). Further, the Nurburgring Norschleiffe is on a severely limited schedule, only being open 3 days a week (Friday from 1:30 to 4:30 and Sat and Sun all day). Of course, this is only if the weather isn't bad and if no one crashes. I'm planning on heading there tomorrow, and while I'd love to do even one run, there's a 30% chance of rain, so I'm not expecting too much. Truly my only regret is coming here past the token "Winter deadline".

That said, the changing to Fall is stunning, so if you can do a late Sep/early Oct trip, I'd totally recommend it. And hey: Oktoberfest!
Thanks for the quick response and advice! Definitely shooting for early to mid October, hopefully we get lucky with weather and it'd be great to see the seasons change (coming from Southern California, haha). Looking forward to the journey similar to the one you had and congrats on the great looking ride, I think that goes unsaid here.
Appreciate 0