View Single Post
      03-04-2024, 05:09 PM   #35
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Different tires can definitely have an effect on feel and response. Some tires also have more/less damping (max is around 10%, of critical, damping and min is < 1%, of critical, damping) which has a small effect on feel as well. Even with a tire having 3000 lbf/in of equivalent spring rate, it only changes wheel rate by ~10%. You could swap main spring rates by 50 lbf/in without telling someone (excluding professional racers, especially F1 drivers who can feel a 10 lbf/in well rate change) and 9/10 would not even notice the change. That’s why changes are typically recommended in 100 lbf/in increments and why 50 lbf/in springs are few and far between. Like I said, there’s a well-known spring manufacturer that has a 5-10% variability in spring rate so a lot of people are driving around obliviously with different rates at all four corners from what they think they’re running. Hyperco used to etch the actual spring rate on the very end of the top flat coil. They were always +/-1-2% of labeled spring rate.

The sport rs sounds like it’s a great performance tire that’ll also get good mileage out of a set. How cold was it? I was at a track event in 2004 where the ambient temperature was 14 F and my PSC’s would come off track barely warm to the touch. It was a great day for working on car control. Road temperature definitely impacts the available grip you can get out of a tire. It’s fair to give them another try on a warmer day. 4 mm total rear toe is more understeer-ry than 2 mm total rear toe so it definitely points to the tires and/or temperatures. I’m glad you’ve found a street setup that’s both comfortable and confidence inspiring.

I have tested sport rs from 0°C to +30°C, 275/30/19 treadwear is 240, 285/35/18 is 180. I have ordered a set of 285/35/18 want to try them with the current suspension settings
Appreciate 0