08-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #158
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
For the new M3 we are looking at fuel savings of about 20-30%.

Do not understimate the prowness of BMW engineers.
Every option for each car begins in a brainstorming session where ideas are put down on paper. So yes BMW have developed a prototype V6 but when evaluated we found it did not suit the intentions of the car.

There are lots of other engines that you do not know about by our engine development unit. right from a two cylinder upwards to a 9.0 64-valve V16 which was designed for Rolls-Royce and will never see the light of day in any production car.

What you have to be careful of is that unorthodox choices for BMW such as FWD and V6's are being evaluated because one day we could run out of options with increasing legislation. So we have to adapt these choices to BMW thinking without compromising on what makes a BMW great.
Fair enough, but since when does legislation on emissions and mpg mean you have to build a FWD or a V6 to meet those standards?

Also, you guys sell plenty of cars that you can use to get fleet averages up without neutering the ///M line. BMW sells FI as the only solution to address building a car with power and low emissions/higher mpg.......but Porsche seems to achieve things with their 911s that says otherwise. Perhaps FI does not belong in a 3 or 1 series ///M variant......I doubt that the genius that is the ///M division could not come up with a solution. This is where cost cutting comes in. BMW is making record profits, yet FI is the lazy option to me.

Hey, if you build a FI car that revs to 8k with the throttle response of the S65 or S54, I will buy her. You build a car that revs to 7k or so without that throttle response, I won't, because I had one of those already. Claiming a car is high-revving because its high revving for a FI engine, doesn't make it a high-revving engine.

Either way, I do appreciate you posting and do look forward to seeing the F3x, and won't pass final judgement till I driver her

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0