ProfM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 & '05 M3 (to be sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torvektheo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfM3 View Post
I have a M performance carbon diffuser on my car and was experiencing the problem of the kick to open function not working correctly. It was not just that it didn't work when you wanted to use it but it would trigger seemingly randomly. The other night my foot brushed underneath the rear driver's side corner of the car and the trunk popped open. Other times I would find the trunk had opened unexpectedly.

On my car the 8mm screws for the 2 tabs in the center of diffuser go through the diffuser, then the heat shield, then the plastic part underneath that holds the screw clip that engages the 8mm screw.

Based on the comments in this thread that there is an electrical connection between the diffuser and the heat shield because they are in contact with each other, put a rubber spacer between the diffuser tab and the heat shield. I also used a couple of plastic fasteners rather than the 2 metal screws (which would also provide a conductive path between the diffuser and the heat shield.

After doing this the trunk kick to open function started working reliably with the BMW M Performance carbon fiber diffuser. Hopefully it will remain working, otherwise I will code out the function. I like the diffuser more than I need the foot kick to open trunk release function.

Here's a photo of the parts I used.
Where did you get the plastic fastener screw and the rubber grommet? Thanks for sharing the tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by torvektheo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfM3 View Post
I have a M performance carbon diffuser on my car and was experiencing the problem of the kick to open function not working correctly. It was not just that it didn't work when you wanted to use it but it would trigger seemingly randomly. The other night my foot brushed underneath the rear driver's side corner of the car and the trunk popped open. Other times I would find the trunk had opened unexpectedly.

On my car the 8mm screws for the 2 tabs in the center of diffuser go through the diffuser, then the heat shield, then the plastic part underneath that holds the screw clip that engages the 8mm screw.

Based on the comments in this thread that there is an electrical connection between the diffuser and the heat shield because they are in contact with each other, put a rubber spacer between the diffuser tab and the heat shield. I also used a couple of plastic fasteners rather than the 2 metal screws (which would also provide a conductive path between the diffuser and the heat shield.

After doing this the trunk kick to open function started working reliably with the BMW M Performance carbon fiber diffuser. Hopefully it will remain working, otherwise I will code out the function. I like the diffuser more than I need the foot kick to open trunk release function.

Here's a photo of the parts I used.
Where did you get the plastic fastener screw and the rubber grommet? Thanks for sharing the tips
You can get the plastics fasteners from a BMW dealer or even Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJHR26Q..._a-P2Eb0DTBR9Q

(8mm expanding rivet BMW part 51471911992)

The grommets can found at a regular hardware store.
Appreciate 0