10-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #170
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Going to the fastestlaps.com website (where on several short tracks) and looking at a few tests in the US (in particular the Streets of Willow put on by MT), M3 on average was faster than 1M, but not by much. At the M School, while several instructors loved the 1M and preferred it in terms of fun-to-drive factor, on average they said the M3s were faster around their short track (1M more nimble in turns, but any part that required power, M3 has a better suited engine for the track and is easier to control throttle for most drivers). Also having seen nearly every instrumented test in US and Europe, 0-60, 0-100 (M and kph), 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times on average favor the M3 (both MT and DCT) vs the 1M (think there's 1-2 tests total that has the 1M faster to 60). All of this taken together (and the track info still suffers from a small sample size on the short tracks) actually led me to the opposite conclusion a while back - the M3 if driven properly (applies to MT vs MT) is the faster car and not just over 100mph.
They sure are very close most of the time but there are tons of mostly Euro tests that say basically what I say plus owners of both cars etc. No need to do this and distract from the heart of the arguement. The difference is little anyway, that is without any doubt. What I was arguing was the logic behind the statement that a M3 has to be in a very wrong gear otherwise it will never loose against the 1M. This myth already got too old, dead and buried even. There is not that much hp difference between the two cars, less than what BMW says (in fact it is around 360 against 410 or so), but there actually is an even bigger gap of torque (around 400 nm to around 550 nm or more) than official numbers say and it just works with the 1M.

And fastest.laps or M driving school! Please, we both can do better than that.

M3 lovers (not you, don't get me wrong, merely the M3 fundamentalists) need to drop their superiority reflexes as soon as possible if they want to continue buying M cars because BMW wants the next M3 a la 1M. There is no other way of putting it and this is the bottomline for everyone who will be in the market. You are free to not like it as much as you want but it is already happening.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0